Great news, MythTV now works on FireTV. I have tested this with all versions of FireTV hardware except the original version (i don’t have this one) and they work to different degrees. You should stay clear of wireless and hard wire in to ensure no issues occur. The new 4k stick definitely shows its hardware prowess here. I also can’t complain about the second gen FireTV. Get all the details at the link below.
My last problem is related to the way DHCP is handled with ubuntu. Now I could have disabled DHCP and just set everything static but I reload my frontends on a regular basis so I didn’t want to do that every time I setup a frontend. Instead I have created a script to start mythtv after a 10 second delay.
- Create script on the root of the filesystem named mythdelayed.sh
- Use the following Content
- #start mythtv in a delayed state because of slow ubuntu dhcp networking
- sleep 10
- mythfrontend –service
- Change the default mythtv startup entry
- Modify the entry to run the mythdelayed.sh script.
- Restart and it should auto launch after 10 seconds and you should be up and running. This concludes my LIVA setup postings. The next step is to configure Mythtv settings which I will leave up to you……
I have had this PC since it came out in July and thought i should do a writeup to share my thoughts and how to set it up. ECS has managed to create a nice x86 PC where others have failed with a nice CPU, Video, and Price features. I run Mythbuntu on all 3 of my LIVA’s. I have tried Windows 8.1 on one of them and it does pretty well even though the LIVA only features 32GB hard drive and 2GB ram for the version I have.
All versions of the LIVA are the same except for the hard drive storage which comes in 32GB and 64GB configurations. Feature wise you will find all the latest and greatest connectors on this mini pc. The USB 3.0 connector is a welcome upgrade that you wont find on any of the BayTrail Tablet Chip offerings such as the Zotac Pico. While I do like the fact it has a Gbit ethernet adapter on it, for the purpose of a MythTV frontend its not really needed. In the Next few posts I will show you how to install Mythbuntu and get it ready to watch movies and television.